Страницы

четверг, 8 октября 2015 г.

Do you like mysteries?

I’ve got one more hobby and it’s detective stories. At school I used to hide a book under my desk and tried to read it while the teacher was talking about chemical reactions, sulfates and other nonsense. As a result, I got D on Chemistry, but I can tell you a lot about Edgar Poe, Arthur Conan Doyle and Agatha Christie! Are you intrigued? Then I’ll go on. Classical detectives make people think and analyze the situation, but what I like most of all about them is suspense! I’d say that Poe is the king of this genre! You never know who the murderer is in his story until the author reveals the secret himself. And sometimes this discovery is so unexpected that I stare wide-eyed into the book and can’t believe that’s the man. This ‘aha’ moment is perfectly explained in this article http://nsf.gov/discoveries/disc_summ.jsp?cntn_id=135833&org=NSF . It happens so quickly and seems to appear out of nowhere. Actually, our brain works things out secretly and then says ‘Bang! Remember me?’ and a sudden idea pops into our mind. The same is with detective stories. The writer keeps us in the dark on purpose to make the moment of truth more exciting. And we follow him. I think not all authors are talented enough to create such a mystery. But Edgar Poe is. Was. And always will be. Today people are keen on fantasy, but I prefer reading a good old detective! And what about you?


Комментариев нет:

Отправить комментарий